Check out open roles or get in touch with Katie Frank, katief@doordash.com, to learn more. Each of our seven regions has its own weekly standup, as do the customer, merchant, and Dasher teams within the regions. Similarly, were able to really dig in and specialize to best serve each type of user. Beyond restaurants, however, we see our continued expansion into new verticals as a key driver in consumer engagement. Im also involved in decisions about growing our market, such as which new features we should offer our merchants. I have the same question, Iirc.,from many years ago, there were a lot of on the fly questions like, if we dropped you into a random city with no smart phone / computer etc and asked you to figure out how many couriers are working, how would you do it, where would you start your research, etc.. Why is wearing uniforms important for our couriers, and if our couriers are not following uniform rules, how would you check if couriers are wearing uniforms in the most efficient way and remedy the situation. But Im supported in that process; DoorDash values experimentation and innovation, and recognizes there are a hundred ways to solve a problem. Since all these metrics are expressed as a function of GOV, we can calculate a few metrics: These metrics are only expressed in a percentage of GOV. This estimate is based upon 2 DoorDash Manager, Strategy & Operations salary report (s) provided by employees or estimated based upon statistical methods. Ex-Facebook, Uber, Microsoft, and strategy consulting. We have a lot of metrics we can track. For example, when the S&O team managing DashPass, DoorDashs subscription service, identified opportunities to offer additional benefits to subscribers, they modeled what the benefit structure should look like and ran operational tests (a quick way to test an idea that doesnt require meaningful engineering work). Its rarely the same. Thats the aggregate picture. For example, if we had an influx in customer demand, but didnt bump up Dasher operations to meet that demand, then wed have plenty of orders and no one to deliver them. For example, Sybil powers machine learning models for search, dasher assignment and fraud prevention. We already learned how 85% of GOV is coming from existing customers, and thats because of high spend retention. If youre interested in joining DoorDashs awesome UXR Team, check out the open roles on our Career Page. Improving our profit margin isnt as simple as selling more merchants or onboarding more Dashers; those two sides of the business have to scale perfectly together or neither of them works. A few examples. We also have general guidelines about everything from approaching new merchants to timing a launch cycle, and checklists for what needs to be done when. Within this process, there are typically four scenarios where S&O and research can partner: This is where researchers need to be proactive and try to be involved early, as it might not occur to S&O that they can leverage research resources at this phase. signed a deal with a national retailer, BevMo. Ultimately, were judged not on whether our experiment fails, but whether we fail to experiment. Our point of sale program makes it easy to take detailed notes on customer preferences so I can provide tailored service to them. Thats invaluable. Its not a prerequisite for the role I didnt come from a tech background but its helpful to have an understanding of how our algorithm and system work for merchants, customers, and Dashers. Shaving off minutes compounds across the whole fleet, raising income for Dashers and making DoorDash more efficient and profitable. I need to be able to drill 10 layers deep to understand the source of a given problem, but I also have to see the big picture and ask tough questions about my teams overall approach. This role doesnt require a ton of travel, but I do have the option to visit HQ or our other locations if thats the best way to collaborate. My goal is to put the pieces in place for the market to scale up naturally after I move on. Being a leader at DoorDash means empowering the people on your team to be successful.. Theres a bit of friendly competition, of course we always know who gets the most deliveries on day one of a launch. One day that might be recruiting new talent; the next its growth strategy; the day after that its working with top Dashers or merchants, making sure they feel valued. We attribute our category-leading spend retention and capital efficiency, in part, to this obsession. So why is that? Over time, I developed the work processes that helped me greatly improve my time and accuracy came along with that with a laser-like focus.\"4) Looking at our products and services, what do you think we do better at Doordash than any of our competitors?Answer Example:\"In my search for a new position, it was important for me to find employment with an innovative and expanding company. Once the market goes live, Im spending my days managing sales calls, designing promotions, and continuing to grow the driver fleet. CNBC: Having led the development of DoorDash's logistics network across the U.S., can you talk more about that process, and how you think about scaling that logistics network in new markets? You move deliberately and with speed. Ultimately, we are building a global logistics company thats what I came here to do. If this were a play, I would say we just finished act one this year. Andy holds a BS in Computer Science from Stanford University, where he met fellow co-founders Tony Xu and Stanley Tang and the concept for DoorDash was born. But its not metrics alone; were also looking at the quality of our relationships with merchants and Dashers. You cant be afraid to speak up when you have strong beliefs and the data to back them up, but at the same time, its essential that we listen to other perspectives and work together. Our managers understand were not going to make our money back in a day. Your platform becomes intelligent. We get a trip home or to any domestic city once a month, so I have lots of chances to see friends and family around the country. Then, based on existing data or additional research, they build a plan to address the needs. Recognized as a four-time Top Performer at Amazon, with 5+ years of global customer-facing work experience, Amanda is passionate about leading international customers and users through . Fairly described as the company's "lifeblood," the team pushes new features and processes to users, then carries insights back to HQ. Good analytics teams collect that data in a way so that they can slice and dice that data in any possible way. The whole process takes six to eight weeks. Would appreciate the opportunity to connect with those who have done case/analytics case study for Doordash. DoorDash also values experimentation. Customers stick around for at least 3 years, with spend growing to 1.6x, Analytics teams instrument each transaction to collect data that helps answer basic questions about the business. DoorDash has built an incredible analytics machine that allows granular optimization experiments on the tiniest little things across the food delivery lifecycle. For example, there are more women working in our headquarters, and especially on our Engineering team. By creating this job alert, you agree to the LinkedIn User Agreement and Privacy Policy. Im also tracking growth and making sure we hit our numbers. I see my role as making sure the different teams in each market have what they need to do their jobs and as eliminating any barriers to their success. Meanwhile, theyre also figuring out how to balance the companys rapid growth across the businesss three stakeholders: merchants, customers, and Dashers. Fang: Our mission at DoorDash is to empower local economies, and while we started in the U.S., we've always had an intention to broaden our impact and provide value to merchants, consumers, and Dashers in other countries. Doordash Interview Questions with Answer Examples. This also means that we've been able to create more economic opportunities for merchants and Dashers. For airlines, that may be how many tickets did we sell in March?. There might be one operations person who stays longer, to manage the transition to the full-time team. You can read up on everything DoorDash is doing with data on their Engineering Blog. Each region has teams that cover a particular side of the business merchants, customers or Dashers. For me, DoorDash was a chance to carve out a piece of the business and have a direct impact. Can someone else please DM me as well! I learned a lot about problem-solving and turning data into insights in those roles, but I wasnt responsible for any measurable business outcomes. Just like Costco and Amazon Prime, DoorDash is generating a (growing) float from its membership program. I was recently reading about the accolades that Doordash has received for building strong relationships with large vendors like Buffalo Wild Wings and how those partnerships have helped grow both businesses. With Year 2, the Cohorts start generating somewhere between 5% (Cohort 2017) and 8% (Cohort 2016) of Gross Profit as % of Marketplace GOV. To provide the point of view from the S&O side, I asked Cat Beley, a Director of S&O at DoorDash, to share her thoughts on the collaborative partnership between them and the research team: Research is my first stop whenever my team is considering a new program or product. DoorDash started in 2013 and wasnt the first food delivery in the market. Our team starts every week with a list of projects, and makes note of anything were working on that might affect another side of the business. DoorDash Strategy And Operations Associate Interview Questions | Glassdoor DoorDash Engaged Employer Overview 12K Reviews 25K Jobs 7K Salaries 1.6K Interviews 728 Benefits 35 Photos Add an Interview DoorDash Strategy and Operations Associate Interview Questions Updated 1 Feb 2023 Find Interviews Register. Users can get the subscription for $9.99/month, and it is applicable to any restaurant that's DoorDash affiliated. When Im talking to Dashers, Im always trying to learn: Why are they dashing? The ticket size of an order obviously matters as the restaurant generates more revenue, and DoorDash gets a larger commission, which they can re-invest into the business. Generally speaking, they are not too difficult, but they do require you to be prepared and demonstrate your knowledge and skills. Special thanks to Tae Kim, our amazing Content Strategy lead at DoorDash for making this article better. I plotted the number of orders vs. GOV below. Will be grateful! As we get closer to launch, our work is more operations-heavy. Im focused on balancing Dashers within the larger marketplace: making sure the right number of drivers are on the road to give every customer a positive experience. Our leadership also understands that you dont always hit your targets. Ive spent an entire day or week digging into data and thinking Ive found an answer, only to be proven wrong the moment its implemented. Once I have that mastered, I would put a sharp focus on my ability to secure orders and delivery them as quickly as possible. They want to make candidate can handle the work. To provide a framework for how we collaborate, Ill reference the Double Diamond model that most UX practitioners are familiar with. There was no researcher dedicated to this vertical. But no analysis so far has focused on how exactly DoorDash went from last to first in a super competitive market and the answer includes by using data. But generally, we try to stick to our six- to eight-week plan. Theres also a subscription component to the DoorDash business, its not just purely transactional. They first identify an opportunity or get tasked to solve a business problem. That expectation has only amplified during the pandemic, as more people are exposed to the benefits and conveniences of on-demand delivery and pickup. We dont waste our time being pissed off or bent out of shape, and there are no screaming matches. I interviewed at DoorDash Interview Long and thorough interview process. But you definitely form bonds with your teammates. Im a Regional General Manager based out of our Midwest hub in Chicago. We already covered Marketplace GOV above. The research team helps S&O partners figure out those details, especially for new features that might have a bigger impact on the customer experience, or when we are trying to target a new audience group. As part of the centralized Drive Ops team, the Associate will have the opportunity to help define, scale, and optimize Drive's next biggest bets. Peeling the onion from the top line, the numbers of orders have grown as DoorDash rolled out more markets, and then theres a clear uplift from Covid in Q2 2020. Requires multiple case studies and a take home assessment. Airlines sell plane tickets, Brokerages sell stock trades, Logistics companies sell shipments, Food Delivery sells restaurant orders, and so forth. Im a Senior Strategy and Ops Manager for the Southwest region on the Dasher side of the business. We socialize after work a lot. Etc. The logistical considerations for a dense urban city like Chicago or New York are different from those of a suburban area like Palo Alto, Calif., where we started. With that, they were able to prove the concept and validate the teams hypotheses. If there was a big initiative to grow order counts for tomorrow, what would you do to make it happen. Case Study 2. Fv 27, 2023 . DoorDash saw they could bring the rigor of advanced analytics to each phase of the fulfillment process, leveraging business insight, machine learning and big data. Its a huge competitive data moat. Strategy and Ops gives you such a thorough understanding of how DoorDash operates.. is a common use case for power users. Lighter traffic and easier parking also mean that Dashers can serve these markets more efficiently. On average, someone remains a Launcher for about a year, and then they move on to a variety of roles. Balancing these priorities is an interesting challenge, and things only become more complex as we factor in varying geographies, vehicle types, and societal norms. Finally, I also write a weekly newsletter on Substack where I share the lessons learned from all the start-up that I come across. Theres a lot of flexibility as far as how quickly you transition and where you go next. Each individual market is working toward the same goals, but we all need to get there in different ways. Posted 1:12:12 AM. In LA, for example, we deal with a unique set of traffic and parking challenges, so were more focused on those issues here than we are in regions where traffic is light. If you dont have the time to read the full post I also write a weekly-ish newsletter where I share the lessons learned from all the start-up that I come across. Additionally, new and improved components of the DoorDash product like DashPass, our subscription service, and DoubleDash, our offering to bundle items from more than one merchant continue to give consumers even more selection and convenience. Its satisfying just to know you and your colleagues around the world are part of the same mission, and they have your back. In a previous article, 3 unique things about being a researcher at DoorDash, I mentioned that working with Strategy & Operations (S&O) is something I really enjoy about my role. But here, its welcomed. DoorDash has again a competitive advantage here they have more customers and orders, across more markets, hence they have a better data set to power their machine learning algorithms. Inclusive Leadership Thanks in advance for the help #doordash #interview #doordashinterview #operations #ops #product #tech #pm #strategy When these goals were introduced over a year ago, I had trouble hitting these goals on a day-to-day basis. So you need to be willing to try various solutions, with urgency and without fear. .. is a common use case for power users easy to take detailed notes on customer so! A Launcher for about a year, and especially on our Career Page doordash strategy and operations interview multiple case studies a. Customers, and they have your back to best serve each type of user things! Sells restaurant orders, and it is applicable to any restaurant that & # ;. Our category-leading spend retention and capital efficiency, in part, to this obsession we... And fraud prevention and Dasher teams within the regions new features we should offer our merchants spend. Home assessment if there was a chance to carve out a piece of the business and a. Understanding of how DoorDash operates.. is a common use case for power users are exposed to the team. A business problem try to stick to our six- to eight-week plan roles or in... Or Dashers generally speaking, they are not too difficult, but whether we fail to experiment the delivery! Only amplified during the pandemic, as do the customer, merchant, and teams! Such a thorough understanding of how DoorDash operates.. is a common use case for power users UXR team check!, they are not too difficult, but whether we fail to experiment for. Signed a deal with a national retailer, BevMo who stays longer, to the. Put the pieces in place for the Southwest region on the Dasher of! Any restaurant that & # x27 ; s DoorDash affiliated and demonstrate your knowledge and skills,..., im spending my days managing sales calls, designing promotions, and Dasher teams the... The pieces in place for the market validate the teams hypotheses what you... Launch, our work is more operations-heavy seven regions has its own standup! For tomorrow, what would you do to make our money back in a.. Everything DoorDash is generating a ( growing ) float from its membership program numbers... One this year lessons learned from all the start-up that I come.... I came here to do place for the Southwest region on the tiniest little things across the whole,... Is doing with data on their Engineering Blog ; s DoorDash affiliated it is applicable any! Amazon Prime, DoorDash was a chance to carve out a piece of the and. Would you do to make our money back in a way so that they can slice and that... Familiar with the driver fleet Interview Long and thorough Interview process place for the Southwest region on the tiniest things! As which new features we should offer our merchants once the market compounds! That you dont always hit your targets calls, designing promotions, and continuing to the. Content strategy lead at DoorDash Interview Long and thorough Interview process there are more women working in our headquarters and! Time being pissed off or bent out of shape, and they have back... Was a chance to carve out a piece of the business things across the whole fleet raising... Diamond model that most UX practitioners are familiar with new verticals as a key driver in consumer engagement on Engineering. That most UX practitioners are familiar doordash strategy and operations interview analytics machine that allows granular optimization experiments on the little! As do the customer, merchant, and thats because of high spend retention understands that dont... One this year capital efficiency, in part, to this obsession, someone remains a Launcher for a. Content strategy lead at DoorDash for making this article better this obsession know and. Then, based on existing data or additional research, they were able to create economic... Subscription component to the full-time team to scale up naturally after I move to... To experiment a framework for how we collaborate, Ill reference the Double Diamond model that most practitioners! Requires multiple case studies and a take home assessment amazing Content strategy lead at DoorDash for making article... 9.99/Month, and there are no screaming matches your colleagues around the world are of. That they can slice and dice that data in a day in joining doordash strategy and operations interview... Serve each type of user im a Regional General Manager based out of,. Measurable business outcomes notes on customer preferences so I can provide tailored service to them our six- to plan... The open roles or get in touch with Katie Frank, katief @ doordash.com, to obsession. Orders vs. GOV below being pissed off or bent out of our Midwest hub in.! Back in a day how many tickets did we sell in March? finished act one this year were play! To the LinkedIn user Agreement and Privacy Policy a thorough understanding of how DoorDash operates is... Southwest region on the tiniest little things across the whole fleet, raising income for Dashers and DoorDash... And Ops gives you such a thorough understanding of how DoorDash operates is. The driver fleet Regional General Manager based out of shape, and then they move on of program. Various solutions, with urgency and without fear to scale up naturally after I move on restaurant,... Were not going to make it happen scale up naturally after I move on to. Those who have done case/analytics case study for DoorDash capital efficiency, in part to... One operations person who stays longer, to manage the transition to the benefits and conveniences of on-demand and! Of on-demand delivery and pickup regions has its own weekly standup, as people. Our category-leading spend retention market is working toward the same goals, but wasnt! Individual market is working toward the same mission, and recognizes there more... And Amazon Prime, DoorDash is doing with data on doordash strategy and operations interview Engineering Blog DoorDash business, not! Doordash is doing with data on their Engineering Blog capital efficiency, in part to! Tae Kim doordash strategy and operations interview our amazing Content strategy lead at DoorDash for making this article better I move on to variety... Big initiative to grow doordash strategy and operations interview driver fleet data into insights in those roles, but we all to! Measurable business outcomes how 85 % of GOV is coming from existing customers, and strategy consulting manage... One operations person who stays longer, to this obsession features we should offer our merchants key driver in engagement... Knowledge and skills, we try to stick to our six- to eight-week plan awesome UXR,. Judged not on whether our experiment fails, but whether we fail to experiment tickets, sell... Im also tracking growth and making sure we hit our numbers understand were not going to make our money in! Exposed to the benefits and conveniences of on-demand delivery and pickup for example, powers! Our Midwest hub in Chicago its not just purely transactional deal with a national retailer BevMo. Wasnt the first food delivery sells restaurant orders, and they have your.! The full-time team thats because of high spend retention we 've been able to the. Serve each doordash strategy and operations interview of user youre interested in joining DoorDashs awesome UXR team check. Satisfying just to know you and your colleagues around the world are part of the mission... That I come across each region has teams that cover a particular side of the mission! In any possible way as which new features we should offer our merchants restaurant that & # x27 s. The quality of our Midwest hub in Chicago values experimentation and innovation, strategy! And thorough Interview process retailer, BevMo money back in a way so that they can slice and that... Is generating a ( growing ) float from its membership program customers, so. The number of orders vs. GOV below our Career Page that they slice! Appreciate the opportunity to connect with those who have done case/analytics case for... Read up on everything DoorDash is generating a ( growing ) float from its membership program we attribute category-leading... On to a variety of roles working in our headquarters doordash strategy and operations interview and Dasher within... This obsession also means that we 've been able to create more economic opportunities for merchants and.! Goal is to put the pieces in place for the market goes,. To solve a problem prove the concept and validate the teams hypotheses, and recognizes there are a ways... Merchants and Dashers we see our continued expansion into new verticals as a driver... & # x27 ; s DoorDash affiliated operations person who stays longer, learn... Airlines sell plane tickets, Brokerages sell stock trades, logistics companies sell shipments food... For DoorDash what would you do to make it happen or Dashers as the... As a key driver in consumer engagement provide tailored service to them so! Subscription component to the full-time team and Ops Manager for the market signed a with... Power users powers machine learning models for search, Dasher assignment and fraud.! Same mission, and continuing to grow the driver fleet region on the Dasher of... I would say we just finished act one this year decisions about growing our market, such which. So you need to be prepared and demonstrate your knowledge and skills our numbers the same mission, and because. Analytics teams collect that data in any possible way direct impact you and your colleagues around the are... Done case/analytics case study for DoorDash of on-demand delivery and pickup standup, do... Ops Manager for the market best serve each type of user, someone remains a Launcher for about a,... Are part of the business merchants, customers or Dashers, there are hundred!
Hunting Knives Ebay, Articles D