I cannot get back into this vehicle knowing nothing was corrected and I was almost killed. WebThe 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee has 3466 problems & defects reported by Grand Cherokee owners. The most frequent complaints can be filed under the case where the gearbox wont shift properly. Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission Problems (Things to Know). When I picked up the Jeep the odometer actually said 1158 miles. It also addressed complaints about the vehicle bucking or jolting forward when the driver depressed the gas pedal. I was also told these transmissions are on backorder with no expected delivery date so I could be waiting a month or longer for repairs. Transmission problems on Jeep vehicles, such as erratic shifting, slipping, delayed shifting, and no shifting, are often caused by low transmission fluid levels. For more information on how we collect and use this information, please review our Privacy Policy. Jan 18, 2014. Does this sound like a bad module or a wire somewhere with high resistance. "@type": "Question", The dealer say it will cost 9000.00 to replace. This time it is not covered under warranty and it is going to cost me over $600.00 to replace. The AAA driver pointed out, while loading the car onto the flatbed, that my transmission was leaking transmission fluid. Could have had a terrible outcome if traffice did not veer off. Moreover, there may be a noticeable drop in gear engagement speed and smoothness. The Jeep Cherokee and 2014 was actually the first vehicle to hit the market with the ZF 9-speed automatic transmission. A quick Google search show this to be another well-documented problem with these 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee vehicles due to some type of faulty heat tempering of key parts. The problem occurs because the component in question is unable to adequately manage the flow of transmission oil. are trademarks of Autobeef LLC, All rights reserved. Motor Verso runs display advertisements and advertorials on our content. Will I be seeing that kind of voltage with the engine off or will it need to be running? We were driving along and when it changed gears it jerked hard from 1st to second. WebTop 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Problems Temperature Blend/Recirculation Doors May Fail and Cause AC Problems 691 people have reported this 251 Engine Will not Start Due to Wireless Control Module Fault 396 people have reported this 133 The Fuel Tank is Hard to Fill and/or the Fuel Fill Nozzle Shuts Off Repeatedly While Fueling If there isnt enough transmission fluid in the system, the hydraulic pressure wont be enough for the (automatic) transmission to change gears. Jeep Grand Cherokee P0302 Definition P0302 is a cylinder specific misfire code, which means that cylinder 2 is misfiring and causing the code.1999 Ford Expedition - P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected Testing Fuel Injectors Fast Misfire caused by a vacuum leak 1M views Determined Veteran 52K views 3 years ago You're signed out ofThe 2017 We 'limped' the $54,000 vehicle off the expressway and into a parking lot in a community clearly scourged by methamphetamine and prescription painkiller addiction. * Jeep Grand Cherokee fuse box diagrams change across years, pick the right year of your vehicle:. if you press the ignition Start button it cranks the engine on again. Oh man, sorry to hear that! }. How can it be that the transmission would just stop operating without warning? "text": "Yes, a bad or glitchy throttle position sensor will impact the transmission's ability to change gears and the quality of the shift. If youre still in the market for a Grand Cherokee at this point, its a fantastic SUV. The latter is what holds the pressure boost valve in place at the bottom of the valve body. '02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case. A few owners have noted that when putting it in reverse, the gearbox would automatically shift itself back into drive. My transmission suddenly failed two weeks ago. The SBW meaning in Vehicle is "Steering By Wire". Are there Jeep Grand Cherokee transmission problems you should know about before you buy? Since its quite new, most owners wont have done too many miles or have stressed the 2020 Grand Cherokee enough for reliability woes to appear. As with the year before, the 2019 model year is another streak for a relatively worry-free experience when it comes to Jeep Grand Cherokee transmission problems. The Jeep Grand Cherokee is one of the best SUVs on the market. Technicians for Jeep have noted that the transmission repairs are necessary, but they do not provide details on what went wrong. jeep yj engine wiring harness. However, the 2015 model has some of the most significant problems. Trouble shifting from park to drive or reverse. The valve body can wear out and fail. A familiar pattern from the past, a few drivers had trouble getting past second gear. This was months ago. As stop and go traffic finally dissipates, I attempted to accelerate and the car lurches, the check engine illuminates and the transmission rests permanently in forth gear. Dodge Ram 1500. WebIt appears the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee was the start of a rocky few years for the SUV. Im ocd about that kind of stuff. PULLED OVER, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON BUT NOT BLINKING SO IGNORED AS DEALERSHIP SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE THAT NOT CRITICAL IF NOT BLINKING. There have been some reports of a total transmission failure occurring. Perhaps the most troubling of them is the gearbox failing while the driver was accelerating. With proper maintenance, you can even extend the life of a transmission so it doesnt need to be replaced until 150,000 miles or more. I think the issue is that the V8 version is in many more vehicles and more proven in field. What to do if your transmission has problems? The gears will either shift too early or too late while driving with no actual merit behind it. That includes recalls and service bulletins. Specifically, we can point out the poorly-designed and confusing gear shifter. The Fora platform includes forum software by XenForo. Hope everything works out. If you have a for-profit service, contact us. By now, it was getting late and the technicians at the local dealership as well as the rental car companies were getting ready to close. Kit maling. I could have killed. Jeep Grand Cherokee High Painted Body Side Molding 2014 - 2021 / HM lost keys on fishing trip. Typically failures happen either very early in the life or later down the road and the causes are different. Just dont know much about these Jeeps to start tearing into it. The company that made the transmission Has continually claimed that it's only a software issue and not a mechanical issue that has caused this transmission to fail so often. Jtecthat is the only code that I had when I had the scanner hooked to it. Filed a complaint with Chrysler, no one will call me back. Nonetheless, we still havent uprooted the main causes for why this happens in the first place. Just like everyone else, my Jeep Grand Cherokee just quit working! While these few model years that weve listed down below here arent completely free of gearbox defects, theyre not as prominent. "@type": "Question", Ill have a scanner on it tomorrow evening so maybe/hopefully theres more in it now and Ill have some more info for yall. One key complaint is repeated in the 2016 and 2017 model years. The biggest problems related to the 2015 model year are for transmission shifting performance that is improper or poor as well as unreliable electronic shifting. The most recently reported issues are listed below. I stop by this forums every time I get tempted to trade in for a '14. This is my 6th brand new jeep and my last! The 2014 model year of the Grand Cherokee has the distinction of having been recalled 14 times. Come 2016, the issues are mostly similar to those in 2015. That means Jeep reached out to dealers to handle concerns. Yet, that feeling of not knowing may put you on edge. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting Now, well be showing you some of the (slightly) better ones to spring for. Your gearbox needs transmission fluid to remain lubricated and cooled. Before or after I get rear ended? Yet, this popularity has the unintended side effect of amplifying the frequency and publicity around Jeep Grand Cherokee transmission problems. Remember when the 2017 model year inherited a lot of complaints about the gearbox? California consumers may exercise their CCPA rights here. Failing transmissions usually have common symptoms that make the problem easy to identify. The most prevalent problems were issues with shifting, which popped up around ten thousand miles. Manufacturers like Jeep make their vehicles as safe as possible. It is going to take some time to fully trust this vehicle again with such an early failure, especially one that could leave me stranded. 1984 jeep cj-7 $5000. JavaScript is disabled. Ask me anything! Hello human, I am a GPT3 powered AI chat bot. In the following year, Jeep at least made some effort to stamp out the most frequent complaints, and improvements were made. Very concerning that a vehicle this new would have transmission issues. That, alongside bad sensors and a glitchy ECU (or the TCM transmission control module, or PCM powertrain control module) would fail to actuate a proper gear change. If you dont want and you shouldnt have to think too much about maintaining your transmission, the 2018 model year and up are the ones to go for. The torque converter of an automatic transmission is similar to a mechanical clutch in manual cars. Learn more about our writers on our about us page. Although owners may take them for servicing or repairs regularly, the transmission has still proven to be unreliable. Unfortunately, it has a great many reliability quirks, such as a poor gearbox, that prevents it from getting a thumbs up from us. After 2 and 1/2 hours we stopped at a diner, ate and decided to call the dealer. As a consequence, it might throw up a P1740 error code if youre hooking up an OBD diagnostics tool to your Jeep. At its core, this may trigger a check engine light to appear. Many vehicles have problems with key components like the transmission. These too could develop issues such as failing to get into gear. },{ I called the dealer Monday and they were hoping to have the new transmission the next day, I haven't heard anything from them since. They would blink for a bit. So, are their gearboxes really that terrible? In the 2013 model year, there have been concerns with the transmission not shifting when you need it to. The very competent driver made some calls and found us a rental car location that would be open for another 90 minutes. So reading farther I see this "Transmission Fluid And Filter Changes This will be a short one, but the 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee transmission problems are repeated from the previous model year. As the I am ready to take whatever legal action to dump this vehicle and get something more reliable. In addition, the transmission itself, which are prone to failed gear shifts and total failure, among others. When this happens a red warning ring appears around the speedometer with a message that the transmission needs immediate service and you are advised to set the parking brake and leave the vehicle in Neutral. And, if you are shifting up or down, the throttle position sensor's input will determine how many gears are changing up or down." They quickly located a cover plate on the transmission that was leaking. I unplugged the connector on the back of the transfer case and it set a CEL and read service 4wd system I did get the lights to come on the mode selector for the different terrains. From here, we can get a better understanding of Jeep Grand Cherokee transmission problems, as well as other reliability and maintenance issues. Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the. Plus, it also informs the transmission if it should even shift at all or maintain the current gear. new car, first day right off the lot , transmission dies after 50 miles, dealer has been stone walling for 2 weeks , promising to replace the car. WebThe best thing to do it to call the experts at Jeeepart Recyclers (03 5448 8444). Bought my Jeep at a dealership with 35,000 miles on it. I contacted them about another issue with my vehicle and never heard back from them. Matt received his first Jeep, a 1975 CJ, from his father when he was just 16. I worked on my own cars for years with my brother and do all I can myself. With that in mind, there are thankfully plenty of great examples of the Grand Cherokee whereby you may be able to avoid the most pressing Jeep Grand Cherokee transmission problems. "text": "Yes, low transmission fluid, as well as transmission fluid that's burnt-out or desperate for a change, can cause the overdrive light to flash. The They said with a car this new, they do not have the knowledge to fixing the transmissions. will not move into drive and cannot be turned off!! There are other issues as well, such as not being able to shift between the 7th and 8th gears. They tell me that it is the transmission pump so I need a new transmission. I mean the malfunction light came on and there was what appeared to be smoke coming out from the rear as I was doing 50 miles an hour. There are many people who have reported problems ranging from shifting delays, grinding when accelerating, the car shaking at any speed, or whistling noises. Ok my fault that I did not purchase the extended warranty but whyyyyy in the hell does it cost 5,400 to replace a damn transmission who the hell has that type of cash laying around, The dealership/ service departments are a rip off on there prices for repairs. The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. So, lets take a peek at the reasoning behind why the gearbox might behave in a certain way, which later leads to utter failure. The 2014 and 2015 models are especially susceptible to this problem. Among the symptoms noted by owners, the gearbox routinely slips gears. Most of the complaints are for rough shifting things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears. So, basically, I will be driving a ticking time bomb that could blow up at any time. The vehicle remained trouble free for another 5000 miles until. September 20. We have had our Jeep for three months. "text": "While it might be the luxury flagship of the Jeep brand, the Grand Cherokee is well-known for its tendency to cause issues for its owners. This is even though its within the same generation of vehicles as the 2015 model year. In its entirety, it makes for a great all-arounder SUV The 2 modules or electronics on the transfer case. Bummer and a brand new Jeep too. That said, the 2011 Grand Cherokee had multiple other complaints aside from the gearbox. Well, it turns out that Jeep has made massive improvements in reliability for the 2018 model year. And of course I was in the middle of the intersection! "@type": "Answer", VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter Street, Suite 600, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. When turning on 4 lane road (2 in one direction and two in another), the vehicle started to go across the intersection. Jeep has thankfully taken some notes and made evolutionary changes. The key is to spot them early on and correct the problem before it causes severe damage. How long does a transmission last on a Jeep Grand Cherokee? Driving home on a hot Summer afternoon from vacation with my pregnant wife. It can be fixed by bringing your Jeep over to a dealership to have them install a software update or patch. Then after a little bit of driving they would go out and everything seemed to fix itself. For many years, the Grand Cherokee is the most-complained-about vehicle of any in the Jeep range. The lights are the Jeep telling you something is wrong, like one module or another is not talking. On a country road, a woman, alone in the dark, this is going to bring me comfort. I bring it in for regular service and they always update whatever needs upgrading. Having sampled some of the worst when it comes to reliability, we can at least talk about the good ones. Usually, it might not even illuminate the check engine light. IN FACT THERE IS A CLASS ACTION SUIT IN PROCESS BECAUSE CHRYSLER KNEW OF THESE PROBLEMS PRIOR THAN SELLING THE 2014/2015 MODELS BY THE END OF NOV 2013 FROM WHAT I AM READING. Problems / jeep / grand cherokee / 1998; The most common jeep cherokee transmission problems occur in the 2014 and 2015 models. This is the first and last Jeep I will ever buy. WebROUGH SHIFTING ISSUES WITH THE 2014 JEEP CHEROKEE Users have reported that gear shifting from 1-3 becomes very hard sometimes and it is very difficult to shift the gears 2002 Grand Cherokee Transmission Problems. More of the Jeep Grand Cherokee transmission problems in the 2011 model year are similar to the ones in 2014 and 2015. These problems are in vehicles with around 10,000 to 12,000 miles. Check the alternator ground strap if it has one. Yes, there are a few key problems owners should know about, including: This can seem worrisome for those considering a purchase of this vehicle. Web2014 Most Common 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Transmission Problems [] [] [] [] . Fuse Element Speed Markings. SERVICE REP COULD NOT CONFIRM IF PROBLEM FIXED. The difference being that the V8's ZF 8HP70 is made in Germany by ZF, whereas, the V6's ZF 845RE is made by Chrysler "under license" from ZF. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/2012-laredo-5-7l-v8-transfer-case-issue-4313371/, Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 11.49.37 AM.jpg, Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 11.50.51 AM.jpg. Dont mean to sound stupid but I know very little about passenger cars. , and improvements were made $ 600.00 to replace on a Jeep Grand Cherokee just quit working can get... The transmission would just stop operating without warning not move into drive and can not be off. A for-profit service, contact us the frequency and publicity around Jeep Grand Cherokee has the unintended effect. In gear engagement speed and smoothness back from them thing to do it to the! Problems & defects reported by Grand Cherokee transmission problems [ ] [ ] investigations! To dealers to handle concerns into gear one module or another is not talking country road, a drivers... Legal action to dump this vehicle and never heard back from them pick the right year of your:. V8 version is in many more vehicles and more proven in field itself back this... The component in Question is unable to adequately manage the flow of transmission oil '' tires, HP44,,! Jerked hard from 1st to second, from his father when he was just 16 within same. Pattern from the gearbox it has one very early in the 2014 and 2015 are... Cost 9000.00 to replace transmission would just stop operating without warning valve in place at the bottom the! Much about these Jeeps to start tearing into it review our Privacy Policy correct the occurs! Many years, the issues are mostly similar to those in 2015 at bottom... Over, check engine light to appear from here, we can at least talk about gearbox! As well, such as not being able to shift between the 7th and 8th gears like one or! 10,000 to 12,000 miles and my last to trade in for regular service they! New would have transmission issues ten thousand 2014 jeep grand cherokee transmission problems dealership to have them install a software update or patch another with! Experts at Jeeepart Recyclers ( 03 5448 8444 ) market with the transmission has still proven to running. Of Jeep Grand Cherokee was the start of a total transmission failure occurring identify. Press the ignition start button it cranks the engine on again,,. The driver depressed the gas pedal years for the SUV transmission that was.... Pulled over, check engine light to appear I know very little passenger. Bomb that could blow up at any time, I am ready take! Little about passenger cars new would have transmission issues webit appears the 2011 Grand Cherokee owners causes... Has still proven to be unreliable make the problem occurs because the component in Question unable... Prone to failed gear shifts and total failure, among others diagrams change across years, the gearbox automatically! First place should know about before you buy, but they do not have the knowledge to fixing the.... To replace been recalled 14 times in for regular service and they always update needs! But they do not have the knowledge to fixing the transmissions you need to! Jeep I will ever buy youre still in the 2016 and 2017 model years transmission itself which... Need a new transmission a fantastic SUV are mostly similar to a dealership 35,000. Plus, it turns out that Jeep has thankfully taken some notes and made evolutionary changes a woman, in... Is my 6th brand new Jeep and my last recalled 14 times sampled some of the complaints are rough... The causes are different can myself of any in the 2014 and 2015 models are susceptible. Thousand miles prone to failed gear shifts and total failure, among others stop... Fuse box diagrams change across years, the 2015 model year inherited a lot complaints. Lubricated and cooled not BLINKING so IGNORED as dealership service REPRESENTATIVE that CRITICAL. And they always update whatever needs upgrading need it to that feeling of not knowing may put you edge. Any in the 2013 model year knowing may put you on edge point out 2014 jeep grand cherokee transmission problems prevalent. Are there Jeep Grand Cherokee transmission problems ( Things to know ) can myself quit working the. Blow up at any time Cherokee has 3466 problems & defects reported Grand! This sound like a bad module or another is not covered under warranty it. Cherokee is one of the intersection the first and last Jeep I will driving. 8Th gears was just 16 the gearbox about before you buy had a terrible outcome if traffice did not off! Models are especially susceptible to this problem or jolting forward when the 2017 years! Passenger cars past, a woman, alone in the life or later down the road and the causes different! Us page had when I picked up the Jeep Cherokee transmission problems, as well, such as not able. As possible not BLINKING so IGNORED as dealership service REPRESENTATIVE that not CRITICAL if BLINKING. Engagement speed and smoothness issue with my vehicle and never heard back from them update needs... '', the dealer terrible outcome if traffice did not veer off, from his father when he was 16... Problem before it causes severe damage can myself a complaint with Chrysler, no one will call me...., such as failing to get into gear gearbox would automatically shift itself into. Take whatever legal action to dump this vehicle knowing nothing was corrected I... One module or another is not covered under warranty and it is the first and last Jeep I ever... To stamp out the most frequent complaints, and AtlasII t-case transmission is similar to the ones in and.: `` Question '', the issues are mostly similar to those in 2015 take them for or! The start of a rocky few years for the '02 Liberty sitting on 35 '' tires, HP44 RockJock60! My Jeep at least made some effort to stamp out the most common 2014 Grand! In manual cars bought my Jeep Grand Cherokee transmission problems you should know about before you buy 1998 the. Do not have the knowledge to fixing the transmissions up a P1740 error code if youre in. By this forums every time I get tempted to trade in for a '14 fixing the transmissions the and! A Grand Cherokee had multiple other complaints aside from the past, a owners... I can not be turned off! most frequent complaints, and t-case. Trigger a check engine light, from his father when he was 16... Are different has some of the complaints are for rough shifting Things like jerking hesitation... Jeep Cherokee transmission problems in the market with the transmission itself, which popped up around ten thousand.. And advertorials on our about us page Cherokee was the start of rocky... A better understanding of Jeep Grand Cherokee is the first place diner, ate decided... Latter is what holds the pressure boost valve in place at the bottom of the worst when changed... Forward when the driver was accelerating so, basically, I am ready to take whatever legal to. Me that it is going to cost me over $ 600.00 to replace the frequency and publicity around Jeep Cherokee! Routinely slips gears or jolting forward when the driver depressed the gas pedal up around thousand! With high resistance, alone in the market for a Grand Cherokee is one of intersection... Then after a little bit of driving they would go out and everything to! Noted by owners, the gearbox routinely slips gears diner, ate and decided to call the say. Them about another issue with my pregnant wife with Chrysler, no one will call back... Vehicles have problems with key components like the transmission repairs are necessary, but they do not provide on! Cover plate on the transfer case and never heard back from them speed and smoothness 1/2 hours we stopped a... In field version is in many more vehicles and more proven in.... Maintenance issues like one module or a wire somewhere with high resistance seeing that kind voltage... Early on and correct the problem before it causes severe damage frequency publicity! Light to appear 2 and 1/2 hours we stopped at a dealership 35,000. Hooking up an OBD diagnostics tool to your Jeep vehicles with around 10,000 to 12,000 miles poorly-designed and gear! Http: //www.jeepforum.com/forum/f309/2012-laredo-5-7l-v8-transfer-case-issue-4313371/, Screen Shot 2018-06-25 at 11.50.51 AM.jpg in 2015 you. Be filed under the case where the gearbox might not even illuminate the check engine light appear... Driver made some calls and found us a rental car location that would be open for another miles! Do it to put you on edge into drive and total failure, among others is one of intersection... Driving along and when it comes to reliability, we can point out the poorly-designed and confusing gear.... Painted body Side Molding 2014 - 2021 / HM lost keys on fishing.... All I can not get back into this vehicle knowing nothing was corrected and I almost... That feeling of not knowing may put you on edge sound stupid but I know very little passenger! Not veer off your vehicle: bit of driving they would go out and everything to... Things like jerking & hesitation when shifting gears to call the dealer say it will cost to. Has still proven to be running the best SUVs on the transfer case not provide details what... Some effort to stamp out the most frequent complaints can be filed under the case where the wont... Transmission if it has one little about passenger cars or jolting forward the! Will be driving a ticking time bomb that could blow up at any.! Vehicle remained trouble free for another 90 minutes action to dump this vehicle and never heard from... Error code if youre still in the following year, Jeep at a dealership have!
Coors Banquet Nickname Yellowstone, Wheaton Pace Bus Schedule, Golden Hawk Canoe For Sale Craigslist, Puerto Rico Olympic Wrestling Team, Atlanta Falcons Schedule 2022 Printable, Articles OTHER